Tuesday 2 February 2010

Ahhhh


I had a wonderful Saturday at Nirvana Spa. There's something about wandering about in flip flops that says you're on holiday, even if you are somewhere outside Reading. Still not quite used to ordering lunch in my dressing gown though. There's something very institutional about everyone sitting around in white gowns. I kept expecting someone to appear and tell me it was time for my operation. I did get a lot of scribbling done though, and I think most of my characters now have some motivations of their own, and I've quashed the pantomime villain.


Whilst all this is whirring around in my head I'm also trying to dredge out the french that lurks within. I've booked a trip to Epernay in the summer, to do five days of champagne tasting. I can't wait! Four of us are sharing an astonishingly cheap apartment and have to make some tricky decisions. The owner wants to know what brand of champagne we'd like waiting in the fridge...


8 comments:

Annieye said...

Why is it we write at our best whilst wearing our dressing gowns!

It sounds lovely, and I'm sure your novel benefited from the tlc.

Anonymous said...

Some of the easiest decisions take the longest to reach, don't they? A colleague and I once spent about 45 minutes setting up and configuring a computer network server (quite a respectable time if I may say so). Then came the question: what shall we name this server? A day later we still hadn't decided!

Good luck with the champagne decision.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Your visit to the spa sounds like bliss, as does the champagne trip.

Lane Mathias said...

Pol Roget!

I say that because a couple of years ago I won a crate from a competition ion in a newspaper. Very nice it was too:-)

Have you decided yet??

Karen said...

I went to Champney's a few years ago, and did find all the wafting around in dressing gowns rather odd at first - don't know why as i often waft around in my dressing gown at home! I did manage to get some writing done though.

Glad you had a lovely and fruitful time :o)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like heaven! No wonder you came away full of ideas. Lucky you:)

Jen said...

Oh, what a terrible decision to have to make!

I've been thinking for ages about taking myself off somewhere to write but you know what? A spa sounds far more fabulous - you have inspired me (i.e. I'm just going to copy you).

I would have to choose one with champagne rather than carrot juice though...

Denise said...

Annie - maybe it's too grown up and work-like when we're dressed!

Cap'n - Overburdened with imagination! S does a similar job and tends to name the computers c1, c2, c3...

Debs - I get to go to the spa every 2 months, can't wait for the next one!

Lane - I've not tried Pol Roget, but I'm willing to try! Still not decided, might ask him to get something he likes that we won't have tried.

Karen - did make me laugh when one person at the spa had brought their own gown with them - a fluffy, short yellow and brown striped one - they looked like a bee!

Jen - Ooh, do go and book one, they're lovely. The one I go to certainly has champagne on their menu too!